3.31.2014

Review: Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen

Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen




For those who have loved Seraphina and Graceling comes another truly fabulous fantasy...

For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined.

Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.

But something unexpected happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall for the enigmatic troll prince to whom she has been bonded and married. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll, part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.

As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch with magic powerful enough to change Trollus forever.


First Line: "My voice rose an octave, resonating through the Goshawk's Hollow marketplace, drowning out the bleating sheep and the hammer of the blacksmith down the way."

Review: I just love the cover of Stolen Songbird and I'm so glad to say that what the pages held inside was just as awesome. This has to be my first troll book and I loved every minute of it thanks to such a wonderful plot and characters to match.

Cecile is kidnapped and sold to the trolls who live under the Forsaken Mountain a place called Trollus. She is bound to Prince Tristan and it is prophesied that she will be the one to break the curse that has been placed on the trolls that keeps them prisoners under the mountain. At first all Cecile wants to do is escape but slowly she starts making friends and their fight becomes hers as well. 

There is romance in Stolen Songbird but there was a lot of politics as well. Trollus is ruled by a cruel king who hates any and all humans so any troll that is not full blooded is treated like crap and many almost as slaves to the full bloods, all this creates a ton of tension and hostility which honestly kept things very interesting and not just focused on the romance which was just as good seeing how both our characters had so many obstacles to overcome. Also the world building was just downright phenomenal I was able to picture Trollus perfectly even though Trollus is set to be a very dark and horrid place we got glimpses of the beauty within it and I think the author did a great job being able to do that.

Now as far as the main characters lets just say as much as I loved Cecile I didn't start loving the book until we met Tristan. These two hated each other right off the bat and the conversations, insults and the sarcasm between them just made things so very entertaining. I loved that they both had so much personality and even with all the insults thrown between them you could just feel the chemistry brewing between the two. I found myself rooting for them through the entire book which is why I am dying with that ending it was such a killer!


Stolen Songbird has been one of the best books I've read so far this year and I will be stalking the authors page for any clue of when the second book is to be released because I'm sure I will have it pre-ordered to get my hands on it asap to find out what happens next. If you love fantasy or a book with amazing characters and world building then I would say you need to get your hands on Stolen Songbird.





Memorable Quotes: ~" You are the most intolerable individual I've ever met."

He bowed "Why, thank you, Cecile. Always a pleasure to have one's accomplishments recognized."

"You are the last person in the world I'd choose to marry," I hissed.

"I don't entirely relish the idea myself," Tristan said, "but sometimes we must do the unthinkable."



~ " They aren't ugly."  I bit my lip, trying to find the right words. "More like beautiful things that have had the misfortune of being broken."



~ He raised his head. "But I am what and who I am, and all the wishes in the world will not change that."


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...