5.14.2015

Review: The Secrets of Attraction by Robin Constantine

The Secrets of Attraction by Robin Constantine


Set in the same world as The Promise of Amazing, this smart, surprising, and (of course) romantic follow-up to Robin Constantine’s debut novel follows two New Jersey teens as they become friends and fall in love.

Madison Parker is on fast-forward. Working toward a scholarship for a summer art program, she already has her future figured out. But when a visit from a family friend turns her life upside down, everything she thought she knew becomes blurred. All she wants is to stand still for a moment.

Jesse McMann is stuck on repeat. Reeling from a breakup that shattered his heart and his band, Jesse divides his time between working as a barista and trying to find the inspiration to write music again. All he wants to do is move forward.

The night Maddie strolls into Jesse’s coffee shop after yoga class, the last thing on his mind is hooking up, but her smile and witty comebacks are hard to ignore. The spark between them is undeniable, but once-a-week flirting is hardly the stuff of epic romance.

Kismet arrives in the unlikely form of Grayson Barrett. When Jesse discovers that Gray’s girlfriend is also Maddie’s best friend, he invites Gray to join his band as their new drummer, hoping this connection will give him more time around Maddie. Slowly but surely, Jesse and Maddie forge a friendship, but do they have what it takes to make their relationship truly sync? 
First Line:"Breathe," Leif commanded.

Review:  It's hard to really like or even fall in love with a book when you don't like one of the main characters. Which is what my problem was I liked Jesse but Madison was someone I just didn't like. I didn't care for some of her decisions, I didn't like how she led her boyfriend on and honestly I don't get what Jesse saw in her and I just couldn't connect with her in any way.

Jesse on the other hand was pretty likable, he is trying to get over the breakup with his girlfriend who dumped him for the drummer in his band. It took Madison walking into his life for him to really move on from his ex until then his character was a little depressing which was a expected in a way. After he met Madison I was actually still feeling kind of bad for him because seeing how I didn't care for Madison I wanted someone better for him.

Besides the romance aspect there were two other story lines going on. In Jesse's pov we followed him trying to get a new drummer and as for Madison it was about her finding out about her long lost father.

Overall I had a lot of mixed feelings about The Secrets of Attraction, it was just okay for me.
If the book was probably from Jesse's point of view only I might have enjoyed it more but Madison kind of ruined it for me since I spent most of her point of view annoyed at her.

Memorable Quotes 

~"I feel so small-like when I'm sitting here and looking up, I realize that nothing is ever still, those stars are constantly imploding and dying and new ones are born, and we're on some spinning hunk of rock in the middle of a galaxy and when you look at it that way, hell, you realize how insignificant we really are, and it's scary, but you wonder, how can we be alone? It's pure arrogance to think we're all alone in the universe, and it's a nice thought-the not being alone."












Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...